If my father died, how doI get sent a copy of his Will or family trust sent to me?

UPDATED: Nov 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father died, how doI get sent a copy of his Will or family trust sent to me?

Asked on November 6, 2011 under Estate Planning, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your father has passed away and there is a Will that he signed, then the easiest way to get a copy of it is to go down to the court house where his estate is being probated and ask the court clerk to make a copy of it for you. A probate is a public proceeding and as such, anyone can get a copy of the file in a probate unless there is a court order prohibiting such.

The other option concerning your request is to contact the executor of the estate of your father to ask for a copy. The executor does not have to give you a copy if you are not a named beneficiary under your father's Will. If you are, you are entitled to a copy of the Will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption