If my father died 5 years ago and left no Will but he owned a painting company, do I have any legal rights to this business?

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father died 5 years ago and left no Will but he owned a painting company, do I have any legal rights to this business?

I also just found out about all of this.

Asked on December 15, 2011 under Estate Planning, Indiana


Steven Fromm / Steven J Fromm & Associates, P.C.

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You just found out about your father's affairs after 5 years?  What?  Not sure how this is possible.

In any event, there may be statute of limitation problems that may prevent you from making a claim at this point.  However, if you were not given notice then perhaps you may have some rights under the laws of intestate succession.  These laws determine who gets what when a person dies without a will.

In any event, you are going to have to retain an estate litigation attorney to assess your position here to see if anything can be done.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption