If my father did not pay my medical bills and now that I am 18 they have gone on my credit report, who is responsible for these bills?

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father did not pay my medical bills and now that I am 18 they have gone on my credit report, who is responsible for these bills?

I have been receiving collection letters. First one for $75 which stated bills from about 1 1/2 years ago had not been paid and I had been avoiding them. I had no idea these bills existed and paid it off. I received another bill for $15, and now one for $165. I don’t know where to begin looking for the bills or if there are even more. My father was supposedly paying these bills,and under my parents divorce papers was obligated to keep paying them even after I turned 18. Who is responsible for these bills, him or I? And how can I have bad credit for bills I did not know existed?

Asked on November 14, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there is a court order stating that your father is reposnsible for these medical bills even after you have turned 18 years of age, then he is obligated for the bills.

However, the problem is that he is not paying them and your credit is being injured. I suggest that if you can pay these medical bills on your own that you do so and then request reimbursement of them from your father. If he refuses, then the recourse is for your mother to bring an action in family law court to have him pay these bills' reimbursement back to you, or you could file the motion. You might consider consulting with a family law lawyer on the subject.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption