My Father did his own will and left ‘everything’ to me and my cousin. Who gets what?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My Father did his own will and left ‘everything’ to me and my cousin. Who gets what?

My Father did his will on LegalZoom. He did several revisions because he kept
giving things to different people. He tried to give his main asset, his property, to
my cousin and my cousin refused it. My Father and I were arguing at the time so I
was ‘cut out of the Will’. Shortly before his passing, he changed it again and
added me back in to get 100 of his estate. He also bequeathed the property and
all that he owns to my cousin who previously said no.

My cousin is now the executer of the estate. I’m the only heir. My cousin’s lawyer
says that he gets everything but the will is very confusing, especially because you
can see all the revisions. It looks like my Father simply didn’t remove my cousin
from his last revision but he did leave ‘everything’ to two people.

Who gets what?

Asked on January 19, 2018 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You need to file an objection to the Will being submitted for Porbate and to have the Will disregarded and to proceed as if your Father died "intestate" - without a WIll.  The you would inherit everything.  Call your local Bar Association and see if they ahve an attorney referral service.  Let them know you need a good probate attorney that does trials on Wills in Probate Court.  You have going to have to pay out of pocket for this.  Hurry.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption