If my father and I are interested in switching houses and mortgages, how do we go about this?

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father and I are interested in switching houses and mortgages, how do we go about this?

Is this legal? My father’s house is bigger and his mortgage is bigger as well. He has an variable rate mortgage my mortgage is fixed.

Asked on June 15, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you're serious about doing this, it's worth speaking with a real estate attorney, but I strongly suspect you will *not* be able to do this:

1) First and foremost, mortgages are generally not assignable by the borrower--while you can check the terms and conditions of the mortgages in questions, it's usually the case that the borrower may *not* transfer the mortgage to another person (they are set up this way to prevent a credit-worthy person from taking one out, then transfering it to a non-credit-worthy person). If this is the case, then right at the outset, you will not be able to do this unless the bank agrees--and there's no reason for it to to agree. Banks would prefer you pay off the mortgages and take out new ones, so they can do new underwriting and credit checks and collect new fees.

2) There are tax consequences to be considered, too, when exchanging assets with different values, that would need to be taken into account--and which may not be favorable for both of you.

Probably the better way to do this is to sell the houses to each other, in a private sale, without a broker, at favorable prices, and timed so you can each pay off your mortgage and replace it with a new one during the transaction; a real estate attorney can guide in you exploring how you'd set this up.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption