What to do about a possible wrongful interference with a business?

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a possible wrongful interference with a business?

My family and I formed an LLC and bought a small food manufacturing business after the previous owner had gone bankrupt. The price included brand name, equipment and recipes. A former employee of the previous owner took a copy of these recipes when the business closed and is now manufacturing and selling the various products under another name but with a label that is designed to look similar to our label and logo. The previous owner wanted to sue this employee but did not have the funds to do so. To my knowledge this employee was never required to sign any non-disclosure agreement. Do we (our LLC) have any legal recourse against this person who has done this unethical act?

Asked on February 13, 2012 under Business Law, Kansas


Michael Duffy / Duffy Law, LLC

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If they were not required to sign a confidentiality, non-disclosure, or non-compete agreement, and took no steps to keep secret the recipies, you would have little to no recourse in that regard. If an employee has access to recipies and makes them elsewhere, they're generally allowed to do so. It happens in the restaurant industry all the time. Be sure to take appropirate steps to protect your sources, ingredients and recipies in the future, as well as utilizing confidentiality agreements, and you you'll gain trade secret, contractual and possibly other legal recourses in such a situation.

As far as the label and logo, you might have a case for trademark infringement. Trademark law is very fact-specific, but in the most general sense, if you have rights in a mark, and another mark is confusingly similar, it may be infringing. You'd need to consult an IP attorney to get an analysis of your case, advise you of any rights you might have in a current mark, any potential infringement and recourses.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption