Ifthe extended warranty on my car was changed without my signature, is that legal?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Ifthe extended warranty on my car was changed without my signature, is that legal?

My dealer said my warranty was expired however the contract I have said it should not be expired for a another year. They said the warranty company had amended the warranty and sent me an update. I never received the update and I never signed a new contract. Can my contract be amended without my knowledge? Is this a problem between the dealer and the warranty company? Can I hold the dealer to the terms of the original contract?

Asked on January 4, 2012 under General Practice, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have a written agrement setting forth the time period for the extended warranty on your vehicle, that time period should control the situation that you are writing about unless the time period was later modified by a subsequent document signed by you.

From what you have written, it appears that you never signed any secondary document modifying the time period of the extended warranty for your vehicle. If so, then the time period of the warranty you signed controls the situation you are writing about. You should hold the dealership to the terms of the original contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption