If my ex-husband won’t remove his stuff from the house that I am leasing, can I throw it out?

UPDATED: Mar 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex-husband won’t remove his stuff from the house that I am leasing, can I throw it out?

He is not on the lease and has never lived here (we were divorced before I moved in). I let him store some things in the basement of a house that I am leasing after he lost his job and apartment. It’s been several months now and I want him to remove his stuff but he wonn’t do it, even after I’ve asked him several times. He has not paid me for storing the items and has threatened to call the police if I throw out/sell his stuff. Is it against the law to throw it out?

Asked on March 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Well, its not the best idea. It could be seen as destruction of property.  He is a "tenant" of sorst in that he stores property on the premises with your permission.  You may need to "evict" him and then have the proeprty declared abandoned, value it and then notify him of your intent to dispose or sell.  A pain it is but worth not being sued.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption