What is my legal recourse if my ex-wife refuses to comply with our settlement agreement?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my legal recourse if my ex-wife refuses to comply with our settlement agreement?

In satisfaction of several money judgements, she was to submit to the CSE that my account is current. As she has refused to do so, the CSE continues to deduct extra monies from my wages. Due to this loss of income, I have lost my apartment as well as my job. I am also on the verge of losing my driving privileges which will additionally impair my ability to find work. Is this not significant grounds for filing a contempt case?

Asked on February 12, 2016 under Family Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You are correct that you have grounds for pursuing contempt of court against your ex-wife.
You should file with the court an Order to Show Cause with your declaration signed under penalty of perjury and supporting documents as evidence of your ex-wife's violation of court orders.  Call the court clerk to request a hearing date for the Order to Show Cause.
It would also be advisable to check with the court clerk regarding all the required documents you need to file for a contempt of court claim as the documents may vary from state to state.
Serve your ex-wife's attorney by mail with a copy of all documents you file with the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption