Does my ex-spousehave the right todemand contact information for my church leaders?

UPDATED: Apr 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does my ex-spousehave the right todemand contact information for my church leaders?

I have been divorced for years and have physical custody of our child; we share joint legal custody. As a result I have to deal with my ex-spouse (a CA lawyer) more often than I would like. About a year ago I joined a new church and my ex-spouse is demanding the telephone numbers and names of my new church leaders. Does my ex have any right to that information at all?

Asked on April 13, 2011 under Family Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) If there is a term or provision in your divorce agreement, settlement, order, etc. which gives her or him the right to contact information for certain people or classes of people, or for certain groups or under certain circumstances, you'd have to obey that term or provision.

2) If there is no provision to this effect in the agreement, settlement, or order, then the ex-spouse may certainly ask for them, but you don't need to provide the information unless and until the ex-spouse brings some legal proceeding against you and uses court process (e.g. discovery, such as Interrogatories, depositions, subpoenas) to try and get them. At that point, in a lawsuit, unless your own attorney could and did object on some valid ground, if the information is at all relevant or germane, the ex-spouse could get it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption