If my ex-live girlfriend will not come and get her furniture that is stored in my storage building, can I legally get rid of these items?

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex-live girlfriend will not come and get her furniture that is stored in my storage building, can I legally get rid of these items?

On 2 different occasions we have scheduled a date and time for her to come and get her stuff but both time she never showed up.

Asked on August 2, 2011 Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

To be on the safe side, you should serve her with a written notice stating where your former girlfriend's property is located and a date to obtain possession of the items by a certain date, otherwise you will consider the items abandoned.

Many states require similar written notice as a condition for a person holding possession of the seemingly unwanted property to dispose of it.

One good way to get rid of the property without much worry of a negative result is to advise your former girlfriend in writing that if she does not pick up her furniture by a certain date, you will take it to a designated storage facility and place the items in a locker in her name.

If she does not pay the monthly fees for storage at a third party storage facility, it will then send her notice of its intent to auction off the items to pay for unpaid storage fees. That way you do not look like the bad guy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption