What to do if my ex is trying to sell a car that I was awarded in our divorce?

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my ex is trying to sell a car that I was awarded in our divorce?

I was awarded the car but he was awarded the loan. He is tired of making the payment and the insurance (since the loan is in his name he must keep insurance on it) and is threatening to sell it. I have possession of the car.

Asked on August 19, 2012 under Family Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

So long as you have possession of the car that you were awarded in your dissolution, the "ex" will have a difficult time selling the vehicle and giving any new buyer legal title to the car since the lender most likely has title. Once paid off, then you should get the title to the car. I suggest that you simply write your "ex" advising him not to even think about trying to sell your car and the reasons for such. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption