What to do if my ex is refusing to drop our kids off at my home with my husband because I will be at work for 45 minutes after the drop off?

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my ex is refusing to drop our kids off at my home with my husband because I will be at work for 45 minutes after the drop off?

We had verbally agreed to move the drop off back 45 minutes and have been doing that for over a year. Now he wants to enforce the drop off time but will not agree to drop to my husband. He is trying to make it difficult for me so that I have to request time off of work. Can he deny dropping off to my home, regardless of who is home? Or can I call the police to enforce the drop off? I have been married to my husband for 2 years.

Asked on January 5, 2013 under Family Law, New Mexico


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Assuming that there is trustworthy adult at your home at the time of the scheduled drop off I see no reason why the "ex" is refusing to do such other than to be "difficult".

Unless there is a court order in place stating that you have to be physically present at the time of the drop off a trustworthy adult can be present to take charge of the minor children until you get home.

To enforce the drop off you should consult with a family law attorney to write the "ex" and if he refuses to abide, then a petition with the court to enforce matters seems to be the result.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption