If my ex is on the title of my vehicle and I can’t take his name off the title without his signature but he is refusing to sign, what can I do?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex is on the title of my vehicle and I can’t take his name off the title without his signature but he is refusing to sign, what can I do?

Asked on June 26, 2015 under Business Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Assuming you were previously married, if this issue was addressed by your divorce decree or settlement (e.g. who gets car), then you  can bring a legal action to compel him to honor the terms of the decree or settlement.

If the matter was not addressed by the decree or settlement, or if you were not previously married, then you can bring a different type of legal action. When two or more owners of property (real estate or otherwise) can't agree as to what to do about it, courts have the power to order some disposition of the property--often, that the property is sold and the proceeds of the sale split among the owners. If you wish to go this route, you could contact you local county court's clerk for information about filing a legal action.

Or you could offer him some incentive (e.g. money) to sign to take his name off, which may be the easiest thing to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption