What to do if my ex is not reimbursing me for the cost of our children’s medical insurance per our seperation agreement?

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my ex is not reimbursing me for the cost of our children’s medical insurance per our seperation agreement?

My separation agreement requires that I maintain medical insurance for my children and that my ex pay 1/2 of the cost. I have faithfully been paying child support and medical insurance costs. How do I proceed with getting her to pay her share of the medical insurance?

Asked on December 6, 2011 under Family Law, New York


L.P., Member, Pennsylvania and New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Thank you for submitting your question regarding your current problem with your ex not reimbursing you for the medical costs of your child’s health insurance.  Unfortunately, your problem with your ex is not uncommon.  Even after a court has intervened to set forth an order that specifically states the obligations and responsibilities of each parent, some parents decide to proceed without complying with the court’s order.  In turn, the other parent is left carrying either the financial or physical burden of caring for the children, and in some circumstance, both.

While you may not feel comfortable with getting the court involved again stepping in and enforcing the court’s order, it seems that your ex may be leaving you with no other choice.  Sometimes the “nice guy” route does not work, and the assistance of an outside, third party can make a difference.  Having the court intervene will ensure that you are receiving the assistance you need from your ex for the welfare of your children. 

Since you have a child custody agreement, which is a legally binding court order, and your ex is not appreciating the fact that court orders need to be followed, you may have no choice but to have the court give your ex the opportunity to get in compliance with the court’s order or go to jail for contempt of the court’s order.  The judge may give a certain date or time frame for your ex to pay in full for the past due amount for their portion of the children’s health insurance, and if not, then the court will order a jail sentence.

Since these issues can be somewhat complicated, you may want to contact a family law attorney in your area to assist you.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption