if my ex is not paying court ordered alimony payments, what can I do to collect the money that is owed?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

if my ex is not paying court ordered alimony payments, what can I do to collect the money that is owed?

I work at an elementary school and do not make very much money. I have 2 children to support.

Asked on January 4, 2013 under Family Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There seems to be many types of alimony that may be awarded in your state and how you collect can be dependent upon the type.  You should know that you can always bring him back to court to hold him in contempt of the court order awarding you alimony and to obtain a judgement which you can then use to garnish his wages, etc.  Here is some additional information that I have found.  Good luck.

INCOME WITHHOLDING. Under T.C.A. § 36-5-501, for any order of alimony in solido, in futuro or for rehabilitation, the court may order immediate assignment of the obligor's income, including but not limited to wages and salary. The order of assignment may issue regardless of whether support payments are in arrears on the effective date of the order. The court's order may include an amount sufficient to satisfy an accumulative arrearage, if any, within a reasonable time. Withholding may not exceed fifty percent (50%) of the employee's income after FICA, withholding taxes, and a health insurance premium which covers the child, if any, are deducted. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption