What can I do if my ex-husband was supposed to refinance our marital home with in 260 days of divorce finalization but hasn’t?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my ex-husband was supposed to refinance our marital home with in 260 days of divorce finalization but hasn’t?

It took him 316 days and our decree says it if isn’t done within the time frame he will have to pay 150% of the equity of the home. It has been 3 years and he refuses to pay. Can I still file a contempt charge against him? I know he has the money to pay it as when we divorce I gave him our savings account which had $112,000 in it.

Asked on October 22, 2015 under Family Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can seek a contempt proceeding against him, and if the court finds him in violation of the decree--which he apparently is, based on what you write--the court can impose sanctions (punishments) on him to force him to comply (i.e. to turn over the money). Court decrees are enforceable, so you do not need to let this stand. d on how much is presumably at stake, you should retain a family law attorney to help you do this--why take chances on making a procedural mistake that could hurt your case when when there are tens or hundreds of thousans of dollars at issue?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption