If my ex-husband is retiring and I am to receive $2000/month per QDRO, can he eliminate his court ordered support of $4750/month?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex-husband is retiring and I am to receive $2000/month per QDRO, can he eliminate his court ordered support of $4750/month?

Can he just stop the support? The divorce was final 9 years ago and he has been paying support since then.

Asked on August 4, 2011 Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Can your ex-husband simply stop the support? No. He has been ordered to pay support; he cannot simply ignore that court order, which is a legal obligation.

However, if his economics significantly change, he may be able to go to court and get the amount of support changed. While courts do not lightly alter support obligations, they do look at the fact that situations change; what someone was able to pay in the past may not be be something he can going forward. So he does have the option of making a motion for the court to alter his obligations, and when he does, you will have the right to try to challenge his request, by showing that he is able to afford to pay more than he claims. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption