If my husband is in the military and didn’t respond to my petition, if he is currently stateside but deploys in a few months, can I enter a default?

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband is in the military and didn’t respond to my petition, if he is currently stateside but deploys in a few months, can I enter a default?

We have been separated for awhile and were going to postpone the paperwork until he returned from his upcoming deployment but I want this done. He was served and the 30 days has passed, what do I do now. Should I enter default? What are my options?

Asked on August 29, 2011 California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should go back to court and show he has defaulted on the notice of petition for divorce and have the divorce finalized. You will have to send him the final divorce decree I am sure, but a final decree will be in your hands at least. Since California is a community property state, I assume you have already figured out the accounting in terms of your future claims to his retirement benefits and pensions and figured out any continuing insurance coverage (medical, health, dental). The only issue arising out of this is if he appeals within the allotted time due to any disagreements he may have as a result of the default. He would really at that point have to show why the default should be set aside and the matter adjudicated from the beginning, but this is going to be an uphill battle for him should he choose to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption