My ex husband is going into the witness protection program in the USA. How do I get proof that he no longer exsis?

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My ex husband is going into the witness protection program in the USA. How do I get proof that he no longer exsis?

I live in Canada and my ex was arrest in the US and is currently in prison in Texas. He will be entering the witness protection Program. I have sole custody but he has acess/visitation. I still require a consent letter from in to travel outside of Canada with our child. Is there a way I can prove he know no longer exsists without a death Certificate?Thanks so much!

Asked on July 3, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'd suggest that you contact the U.S. Marshall's Service, which runs the Witness Protection Program.  I don't know what, if anything, they can do to help you.  It may be that they can provide you with a death certificate, or possibly arrange for a "permanent" consent letter from your ex-husband.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption