If my ex-husband has just retired and is requesting a termination of our current alimony order, how do I respond/object to this in court?

UPDATED: Jul 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex-husband has just retired and is requesting a termination of our current alimony order, how do I respond/object to this in court?

I received a summons to court in regards to him requesting to modify/terminate the existing permanent alimony order due to his retiring. What can I do to request the oringinal order remain in effect and unchanged? Married 16 years 11 months.

Asked on July 17, 2012 under Family Law, California


Phong Han / Eaton & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Assuming that your divorce was conducted in California, a spouse may request that their spousal support obligation be terminated when there is a loss of job or reduction in salary.  Although there is a provision to prevent a reduction in support due to a spouse quitting their job or voluntarily reduces their salary, there are many factors that determine whether or not the reduction in salary would be qualify for a reduction of spousal support.

Every case is different and because of that, a retirement may or may not be considered a voluntary reducation of salary, depending on the circumstances of that retirement.  It is always a good idea to speak to a family law attorney when dealing with requests for reductions and termination of spousal support.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption