If my ex-husband filed Chapter 7 and had a notice sent to me, does that mean he listed me as a creditor?

UPDATED: Mar 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex-husband filed Chapter 7 and had a notice sent to me, does that mean he listed me as a creditor?

Our divorce papers say he is to pay me for child support, the child’s health insurance and half their medical expenses. He refuses to pay these and owes me over $20,000 for just the insurance. Can he file bankruptcy on these?

Asked on March 13, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes you are a creditor. Chapter 7 will not protect him from paying child support. You could be the first in line to collect from him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption