How can I get my ex-husband to take my name off of the mortgage to his house?

UPDATED: Jul 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get my ex-husband to take my name off of the mortgage to his house?

My ex-husband and I have been divorced for 5 years. I signed over the house and per the judge, he was to have my name removed from the mortgage. About 2 years ago I went to purchase a car. I was informed that I didn’t qualify because the mortgage was still showing on my credit report. I contacted the mortgage company directly to find out how I could have my name removed and then passed the information along to him. Currently, I am trying to purchase a house for myself and our children. He claims he cannot remove my name because the house is worth less than is owed and they will not refinance it. Do I have legal grounds to proceed? If so, what type of lawyer would this be best suited for?

Asked on July 10, 2012 under Family Law, Colorado


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to go to a family law attorney locally and sue your ex to have the judgment enforced.  If you husband hasn't followed the court order removing your name, then he can be found in contempt and fined.


Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption