What can I do if my ex has the kids for 5 weeks during the summer but has sent them to live with a relative who lives over a 100 miles away during the week?

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my ex has the kids for 5 weeks during the summer but has sent them to live with a relative who lives over a 100 miles away during the week?

She stated she did that because she has no one else to care for them. I am concerned that this is an issue of well being, because the person is partly disabled. Do I have grounds of to file a contempt of custody hearing based on our share time and the lack of adult supervision that the kids are having?

Asked on June 17, 2015 under Family Law, Florida


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Two factors will control what you can and cannot do.

The first is the final order.  If the order allows her to designate "any competant" adult to care for the kids, then she can.  Neither parent is required to have the kids in their care 100% of the time.... especially in this day and age with the reality of working parents.  If the final order says that neither of you can designate someone else to care for the kids, then she would be in contempt.

The second factor is the ability of the person she designates to provide the care for the children.  A disability will not disqualify someone from being an appropriate care-giver automatically.  Many disabled parents are able to care for their own children.  If the needs of the children are not being met:  food, clothing, safety.... then you could file a motion to modify the final order so as to exclude this person as a caregiver.  She would only be in contempt if she refused to find an appropriate caregiver after this one was disqualified.  In the meantime, if you have additional reasons to believe the children are in danger, then you need to call in a complaint to the children's protection agency where the children are located so they can check up on the safety of the kiddos.  This will at least give you some immediate relief or peace of mind.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption