What can I o if my ex has me on child support in 2 different states for the same child?

UPDATED: Jul 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I o if my ex has me on child support in 2 different states for the same child?

I was paying current support in one state while it was stacking up in Ganother state without my knowledge. They took $5600 from my tax return and gave to arreares. The mother refuses to let me see them and refuses visitation and even wants to change my son’s name and remove me from the birth certificate. How can I go about getting my money? Also, if i sign over my parental rights, will I still be obligated to pay child support?

Asked on July 24, 2012 under Family Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you are paying double for the same child under a support order being implemented in two different states, you need to file petitions in each state to make sure that you pay a certain amount monthly not twice the amount ordered.

For assistance on this, you should consult with a family law attorney on the subject.

In order to sign over parental rights for this child, there has to be a person willing to accept the obligation of such rights besides the mother of the child. One cannot get out of a parental obligation by just trying to give up such an obligation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption