If my ex has been harassing me since we broke up and threatens me and my family, is there anything I can do to stop this?

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex has been harassing me since we broke up and threatens me and my family, is there anything I can do to stop this?

She has manic depression and I recently found out she has been doing drugs. The threats are daily and I don’t know how to stop them. If I say I will go to the police she makes more threats. She has threatened to kill me and hurt my family. She has also said she will “make my life hell”. I don’t know how to stop this or what I can do but I cannot handle it anymore and it needs to end.

Asked on December 28, 2011 under Criminal Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You could get a restraining order (protective order) against your ex.

You could also sue her for intentional infliction of emotional distress.  Intentional infliction of emotional distress is an extreme and outrageous act intended to cause and which does cause you emotional distress.  The threats would constitute extreme and outrageous acts which would be intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Your lawsuit could also include a separate cause of action (claim) for invasion of privacy.  Invasion of privacy is a serious and unreasonable interference with your right to be left alone.  It is an intrusion upon your solitude.

Damages is the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit.  In addition to general damages for intentional infliction of emotional distress and invasion of privacy, you could also seek punitive damages.  Punitive damages are a substantial amount to punish your ex for her intentional and malicious acts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption