What to do if my ex-girl friend obtained a credit card in my name and has an $11,500 balance?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my ex-girl friend obtained a credit card in my name and has an $11,500 balance?

She obtained the card 2 1/2 years ago; I did not find out until a year ago. I notified the issuer that card was not authorized by me and someone else was making the payments. She admitted that she obtained the card without my permission and has been promising to pay off balance since but it has not happened. Can I press criminal charges? Can I sue her?

Asked on August 22, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Louisiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, you need to have a face to face meeting with this "ex" where she signs some written agreement stating she will pay off the balance on the credit card she improperly obtained in your name. Once done, send a copy of the note to the credit card company with a letter putting it on notice that you were defrauded and you have no intent to pay the debt on the credit card since you did not place the charges. Keep a copy of the letter and note for future use and reference.

You could make a criminal complaint against her and even file a civil matter. Perhaps consulting with an attorney who practices consumer law may give you some assistance in what direction you may wish to go with respect to your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption