If my ex fiancé called off our wedding 4 months prior and my parents are out $20,000 for the reception, is he liable for any of that?

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex fiancé called off our wedding 4 months prior and my parents are out $20,000 for the reception, is he liable for any of that?

He is now suing me for the ring which I know I legally have to give back to him but I asked to keep it to give it to my parents. Is there any way I can sue him back and have him help my parents out? At least half of what they are required to pay? Do you think we would win in small claims court? I even have documentation asking him to please split the cost and help my parents.

Asked on March 27, 2012 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Good question. Unfortunately, your ex fiance' under the laws of all sattes in this country is not responsible to repay any portion of the $20,000 spent by your parents for the wedding reception where the wedding will not happen since it was called off. The reason for this is from a practical example is that half of all marriages end in divorce.

Do the parents of the divorced couple who paid for the reception seek repayment after the fact for the costs of the reception? This does not happen. I suggest that your parents try to get a refund or a credit for the $20,000 paid to date. In hindsight, it is better to know now about matters with your "ex" rather than get married and be involved in a dissoluation six months after the wedding.

I do not see your parents prevailing in a small claims court matter against your "ex". The right thing would be for your "ex" to contribute some money to the $20,000 advanced by your parents.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption