What to do if my ex did not disclose stocks worth more than $100K either in her preliminary declaration or in the discovery process?

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my ex did not disclose stocks worth more than $100K either in her preliminary declaration or in the discovery process?

She also sold these stocks without my knowledge. After a trail, on my request, the court issued a tentative statement of decision. Considering my objections, court issued a Final Statement of Decision. In the Final Statement of Decision, the court found that my ex breached her fiduciary duty. However, it ordered to give me half of the monetary value of the stocks considering their value on the date when my ex sold these stocks. Since the stock price has increased by 50%, I want the court to award me half of the actual stocks. What can I do now in order to ask the court to modify its order to reflect this?

Asked on November 26, 2012 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Procedural questions - which is really what you are asking here: what is the procedure for appeal an order - are best asked to an attorney in your area as the original proceeding will guide and determine your actions.  If, for example, you made a motion regarding her breach and for your portion of the stocks and you believe that the court mis-applied law or there is new law to support the outcome you wish, you may need to make a motion to renew and reargue as well as file a notice of appeal.  Make sure, though, that your argument for the recalculation has some basis in law or equity.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption