If my ex-boyfriend had bad credit so manipulated me into buying him a car in my name, is there any way that I can get out of it?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex-boyfriend had bad credit so manipulated me into buying him a car in my name, is there any way that I can get out of it?

He did everything and all I did was sign my name down. The idiot bought an expensive car and now he is making the payments finally but I’m leaving the country for years and don’t want to come back to bad credit. This gives me nightmares. He says I can’t sign the car, insurance and loan over to him because his credit is too low. Can I sign it over to his sister? What are my options and how? I am clueless and leave in 2 weeks. Can I do this?

Asked on October 31, 2015 under Business Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can't "sign it over" to anyone against their will--another person needs to agree to accept debts, obligations, property (including cars), etc. And also, some loans and property cannot be "signed over" to another person--if the loan agreement or contract of sale states it cannot be "assigned" (that's the legal term for "signed over"), it can't be signed over (so you need to check the loan, etc. agreements to see what you can do).
There may be no way out, if you can't find someone who wil take over these obligations, or are prohibited by the terms of the agreements from doing so. You signed your name to the obligations: the law presumes that if you signed it, you read, understood, and agreed to it, and therefore about bound to what you signed. In signing, you contractually obligated yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption