What to do if my employer’s doctor put me on light duty but my boss sent me home saying she had nothing I could do on light duty?

UPDATED: Jul 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my employer’s doctor put me on light duty but my boss sent me home saying she had nothing I could do on light duty?

But she said I had to wait until I was released by the doctor to come back to work. I have been off of work for 4 business days now and am planning on going to the doctor tomorrow to hopefully get released back to regular duty. Does my employer have to pay me for days off since they sent me home and would not let me work on light duty? I was more than willing to do anything

Asked on July 2, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

No, employers are not required to give employees "light duty" unless there is some contract (or union agreement) requiring it in such circumstances. Otherwise, employees are hired--and paid--to do a job; if the employee can't do that job, the employer may suspend without pay (e.g. send home), or even potentially terminate the employee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption