If my employer withheld wages and vacation when he laid me off, is there anything that I can do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my employer withheld wages and vacation when he laid me off, is there anything that I can do?

I was sent to Guam for my company. When I came back he said that I quit. He was supposed to reimburse my ticket; he purchased it on his credit card but I gave him the cash for it. He held all my belongings for 6 months before he sent it to Guam. I feel set up and like a dummy I fell for it.

Asked on August 27, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Hawaii


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your former employer in small claims court for your wages or file a wage claim with your state's department of labor. As for any earned but unused vacation pay, in HI such pay is not required unless ther terms of an employment contract (or union agreemnt) provide for it or unless it has a history of providing it to terminated employees and not giving it to you would constitute some form of legally actionable discrimination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption