When is an employee eligible to receive underemployment?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When is an employee eligible to receive underemployment?

My employer transferred me to a site where my schedule is different; my hours have changed. I have been a full-time employee for 5 years but now I may only have 30 hours next week and none this week. Can I file for underemployment?

Asked on February 1, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You *may* be able to receive underemployment: the calculations of when you can get it are somewhat complex, and depends on what you were earning, what weekly benefit amount (or WBA) you'd be entitled to had you stopped working entirely, what you are currently earning, etc. The only way to know for sure whether you can get it (and, if so, how much) is to apply; and since other than some time, there is no cost to applying, there is no reason not to. Here is a link to an informative (but not crystal clear, unfortunately) FAQ sheet put out by your state government on this topic: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/uia/141_-_Claiming_Underemployment_Beneifits_in_Michigan_392273_7.pdf

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption