if my employer requires a mandatory physical exam every year, do I have to pay legally or them?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

if my employer requires a mandatory physical exam every year, do I have to pay legally or them?

My employer takes $40 out of my paycheck every year for mandatory annual physicals.

Asked on April 18, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, this is legal: your employer can make it a requirement not just that employees get a physical but that the employees fund the cost. So it is legal for the company to take the $40 out; it would also be legal for them to say you have to make arrangements to go to your own doctor and pay the full cost yourself. You show your agreement or consent to this arrangement by continuing to work there despite knowing of this requirement (if you don't want to do this, your recourse is to look for a different job--remember, anyone can quit any job at any time if they don't like the terms and conditions).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption