If my employer required me to sign a 2-year contract when hired but after one year I was “let go: due to low volume, am I entitled to a compensation?

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my employer required me to sign a 2-year contract when hired but after one year I was “let go: due to low volume, am I entitled to a compensation?

I am a therapist who was hired by a hospital to provide therapy services. They have offered me one week of severance pay and to pay me for about 60 hours of PTO time that is accrued. I now have unexpected moving expenses and will likely not get my deposit back from my rental and no insurance. I moved to take this job and had a contract.

Asked on March 27, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

1) If there is an employment contract, you need to reference its terms to see what you may be entitled to; for example, was your employment guaranteed for two years, in which case, you may have a claim up to a year of wages, or alternately, was it just that you committed to two years employment, but the employer could terminate you earlier?

2) If you were have been employed for a year, it may be that the fact that you relocated to take the job no longer has an bearing (if you relocated for a job and were terminated almost immediately, you can often, under the theory of "promissory estoppel," hold the employer liable for some of the costs you incurred in reliance on their promise; but after some, ill-defined, period of employment, you have received sufficient benefit from the move that the promise of employment is no longer enforceable--i.e. the fact that you relied on the promise in moving does not entitle you to indefinite employment).

You should bring the employment contract to an attorney to review it with you, to see what the employer may owe you under it. You should also discuss your situation (the move, the rental, etc.) with the lawyer; while, as stated above, it is doubtful that those factors themselvs give you any claim after a year, it's worth reviewing it with a lawyer as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption