Can my employer requested that I give a written accounting of my time?

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer requested that I give a written accounting of my time?

For the past few months I been writing what I do every day and how long it takes me. For example: 8-8:45 count the cash, 8:45-10 billing, entered 20 billing sheets, and so on. I have been requesting to meet with my superiors about this because I do not know why I have to do this. I have not been spoken to about my time management or called into to office. Is this legal?  I am the only person in the department that has to do it.

Asked on November 18, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It is completely legal for an employer to do this, with the one exception below:

1)  An employer has discretion to set terms and conditions of employment, such as whether employees must account for time and if so, to what degree of detail.

2) An employer does not have to treat employees the same, equally, or fairly, so long as the employer does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, age over 40, sex, or disability. (That's under federal law; your state may add a few other categories, such as sexual orientation, national origin, or family status.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption