My employer reduced my paycheck by 330 for the last two pay checks. They did not notify me. I just figured it out today when I looked at my bank account. Can they do that?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My employer reduced my paycheck by 330 for the last two pay checks. They did not notify me. I just figured it out today when I looked at my bank account. Can they do that?

I am a welder. We got slow on welding so they put me in brazing. I did not agree to
permanently be a brazer but did it temporarily until welding picked up. Now all of a
sudden my pay checks are 330 less. No notice. No one else has been reduced
that I know of. I have been very patient. I’m thinking I should have left when they
looked the other way on the multiple complaints of harassment. They still do. I’m
just beside myself. Very upset and disappointed.

Asked on April 30, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If they had notified you, they could have cut your pay like this (so long as you were still making at least minimum wage), assuming that you do not have a written employment or union contract setting your wage (if you do, they have to obey it): without a contract, you are an employee at will, and an employer may change an employee at will's pay at any time.
BUT the change is only effective from when you were notified forward: once you get notice, if you keep working despite the pay change, you are deemed to have consented or agreed to it. But they can't retroactively change your pay for work already done before they notified you of the pay cut, because without notice, you were still working pursuant to the prior understanding or oral (or implied) agreement as to your wages.
Now that you know that you pay is reduced, the reduction is legal. But as to any pay reductions before you aware of the change: that is not legal, and they have to pay you at your then-current rate. You could potentially file a wage and hour complaint with the labor department and/or sue (e.g. in small claims court) for the money. Obviously, taking legal action against your employer is a drastic step: before acting, consider whether the amount at issue is worth doing this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption