Wha to do if my employer is wrongly accusing me of tinkering with the computers to speed them up?

UPDATED: Nov 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Wha to do if my employer is wrongly accusing me of tinkering with the computers to speed them up?

These computers are old and I got accused of tinkering with them when all I did was make a suggestion of adding RAM to speed up them up. This way, they woudn’t crash all the time. He then came to me with a write up for tinkering with the computers and I disagreed with it and refused to sign it. The next day I came in and said I will sign the paperwork, I just want to write down what I agree with and what I don’t. I was told no, and now after working there 14 months and worked all over the shop he singled me out and told me I am restricted to a small confined work area. He said he want to get the best production out of his team yet any time I need to get

Asked on November 20, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The problem is, if you do not have a written employment contract, you are an employee at will. An employee at will has essentially no rights in or to his or her job; an employee at will may be terminated--or  anything short of termination, such as having duties or workspace changed, being demoted, being disciplined or written up, having pay or hours cut, being suspended, etc.--at any time, for any reason, even a reason which is unfair. Also, an employee at will  has no right to tell his or  her side of the story (such as to"write down what I agree with and what I don't") if the employer doesn't want to give him or her that opportunity. From what you write, you employer has the right to do what he has done.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption