What is my recourse if my employer has violated the minimum wage law?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my recourse if my employer has violated the minimum wage law?

I resigned due to health reasons 10 months ago. A month prior to that, I took out a payday deduction for $500. I went on the assumption that this loan was handled and paid off before I resigned. I returned to work only as a substitute worker making only $10 per hour versus $15 per hour when I was working on a permanent basis. My last 2 paychecks had $176 deducted from them and I wasn’t notified the first time this was done. Those deductions made my take home pay below minimum wage and I notified my state’s labor and wage division and they are pursuing it.

Can I further take my employer to small claims court for damages?

Asked on March 15, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, South Dakota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

A lawsuit would not be a cost effective or time effective (i.e. in terms of your time and effort option, since the compensation you can recover is closely related to the loss you suffered. $10/hour is above your state's current minium wage (and well above federal minium wage), so your only loss which would be cognizable in a lawsuit would be the improper $176 deduction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption