My employer has 4 weeks of notice, I want to give resignation of 2 weeks

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My employer has 4 weeks of notice, I want to give resignation of 2 weeks

My employer has 4 weeks of notice, I want to give resignation of 2 weeks to join
a new job.
what are legal complications?

Asked on September 13, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you signed an actual written contract requiring you to give 4 weeks notice, then if you fail to do so and if the fact that you provided insufficient notice somehow provably costs your employer money (e.g. to hire a temp or freelancer at a premium to do your job for the time you should have given notice), the employer could sue you for those costs or losses based on your "breach of contract." But that's only if you had a written contract. In the absence of a contract, their policy is not enforceable and you could give 2 weeks notice, or even no notice at all.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption