What options do I have if my employer handed mea written notice of a 25% decrease in my pay to start in 30 days?

UPDATED: Feb 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What options do I have if my employer handed mea written notice of a 25% decrease in my pay to start in 30 days?

Asked on February 24, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

As a general matter, you would have no options other than to seek alternate employment. An employer is free to set employee wages, and to increase or decrease them, at will, and does not even need to provide notice. The exceptions would be:

1) if you have an employment contract or union agreement, your wages cannot be decreased in violation of it.

2) You must be paid at least minimum wage.

3) You cannot have your wages decreased because you are a member of a protected group--that is, you wages cannot be decreased because of your race, sex, religion, age over 40, or disability, for example.

4) Your wages cannot be decreased for using a protected benefit (like FMLA leave) or filing a protected claim (such as for overtime, or that you were the victim of discrimination).

Other than the above, though, your employer should be able to reduce your wages.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption