What to do if my employer does not pay me to be on call?

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my employer does not pay me to be on call?

Employer requires me to work out of town. Requires me to be no farther than 60 minutes from the job site in that town. Tells me I am on call for the job site but will not pay me call out pay unless I am actually called in to work. So I’m stuck at a hotel with nothing to do over the weekend and not allowed to go home and not being paid for it.

Asked on March 7, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, under the laws of all states in this country, you are entitled to be paid to be on call from your employer for all hours, possibly at an overtime rate. I would advise your employer of this situation and if he or she refuses to pay you for the time, you have the option to consult with a labor attorney or make a complaint with your local department of labor for money owed you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption