If my employer deducted money from my check for healhcare that I rejected during open enrollment, how do I get my money back?

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my employer deducted money from my check for healhcare that I rejected during open enrollment, how do I get my money back?

My employer said that they can’t give me back the money because the insurance company won’t return the money. I signed a form rejecting my employer’s healhcare plan, instead choosing to go on my husband’s.

Asked on December 5, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Assuming you provided the forms correctly to your employer, it doesn't matter  whether or not the insurer will return the money--the employer either intentionally or negligently took money from you which it was not entitled to, and therefore it is your employer that must return it. Whether or not they later get it back from their insurer is between them and the insurance company. That said, if your employer will not voluntarily repay you, you would need to sue them for the money--and since suing your employer can have serious consdequences, you should think carefull about whether you want to do that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption