What can I do if my employer canceled my insurance but never notified me of this?

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my employer canceled my insurance but never notified me of this?

I have recently received bills for doctor’s appointments and a hospital stay. I have since stopped treatments and prescriptions. Is my employer responsible for my payments because I was never notified?

Asked on September 2, 2014 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If they cancelled it while still taking your employee portion of the premiums from your pay, they'd likely be liable or responsible for the bills. Or if there was no employee portion, but the insurer, as you say, cancelled it without letting you know about the cancellation *and* without you doing anything to cause the cancellation, they may well be liable. Of course, if they won't voluntarily pay, you'd have to sue them, which coud be time consumming and expensive and is never, even in good cases, guaranteed.

However, if either you *should* have known about the cancellation or did any thing to cause  the cancellation--such as your hours dropped below the minimum for coverage; or the insurer had warned everything that after a certain date they were going to stop providing health insurance; or it was open enrollment season and you did not return your forms/sign up in time; or you had sent an email or other notice to HR that you didn't want inurance; etc.--then you would be responsible for the bills.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption