my electric has been shut off because of elec. problems and the landlord has not really done anything about it

UPDATED: May 30, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 30, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

my electric has been shut off because of elec. problems and the landlord has not really done anything about it

what are my options

Asked on May 30, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Iowa


M.H., Member, California Bar / M.H., Member, California Bar

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You need to give a little more detail about what you mean by electrical problems.  Is the landlord obligated under the lease to provide electricity?  Is the problem with the wiring (which would probably be the landlord's obligation to maintain), or is the power company not providing you with the services for which you paid?  You would do well to start with a letter to the responsible party, preferably certified mail RRR, requesting immediate correction of the problem.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption