If my DUI will be dismissed, will my arrest and charges still show on a background check?

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my DUI will be dismissed, will my arrest and charges still show on a background check?

I live in OK and was arrested 8 months ago for DUI. I was given 6 months probation and, upon completion, the DUI is going to be dismissed. I need to know what is going to show up on a background check after I get the DUI dismissed. Is it going to show that I was arrested and charged still? A lot of job applications ask if you have ever been on probation or arrested, so how do I handle those questions if I get a DUI dismissed? It seems kind of pointless to have a dismissal if you still have to disclose you were arrested and charged.

Asked on September 9, 2011 under Criminal Law, Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If I read your question correctly, the terms of your plea for the drunk driving arrest is that you were given six (6) months probation in addition to some fines/fees and if you satisfactorily complete your probation during this time period the conviction will be dismissed.

In essence the plea is what is called "court probation." If you satisfactorily complete your "court conviction" and the plea for the drunk drive conviction is then dismissed by the district attorney's office, then your arrest and conviction should no longer show up as a public record that can be accessed via a background check of you.

If you are asked in a job application if you were ever convicted of a crime and your conviction is dismissed due to the completion of your probation, simply state, "I have no convictions of any criminal offense."

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption