If my downstairs neighbor in my rental apartment complains about my 2 year old running around, can he sue us?

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my downstairs neighbor in my rental apartment complains about my 2 year old running around, can he sue us?

We (my wife, son and I) moved in this rental apartment 2 months ago. My downstairs neighbor has been complaining to the building owner and now he called the cops on us at 1:30 am about my son running in the apartment. He was not shouting or screaming and we were trying our best to put him to sleep.

Asked on December 29, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There is always the possibility that if your downstairs neighbor gets frustrated enough about the perception that your two (2) year old child is making too much noise at various periods of the day or night, he or she may bring a legal action against you and your child.

I suggest that the best way to try and resolve the situation that you are writing about is to have a face to face meeting with the neighbor to explain what you are doing to try and keep the noise level down caused by your child. My experience is that problems arise between people due to their inability to communicate with the other in order to try and resolve issues between them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption