Do I still have a legal obligation to continue to pay for college if my daughter will not see or speak with me?

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I still have a legal obligation to continue to pay for college if my daughter will not see or speak with me?

My divorce decree states that I will help pay for my daughter’s college. She is estranged and has very little to do with me. She rarely returns phone calls, texts or emails. She is an adult, 19 years old and a sophomore.

Asked on September 19, 2012 under Family Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you have a court order in place setting forth a time period for you to continue child support for your child, you are required to continue to adhere to the court order even if your daughter who is an adult and in college will not see or speak to you. I suggest that you carefully read the court order setting forth the terms and conditions of your obligations to your daughter. The time period to pay for her support may have passed since she is an adult.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption