If my diswasher leaked into the condo downstairs and caused damage on the walls and floor, should I have pay to fix his damage?

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my diswasher leaked into the condo downstairs and caused damage on the walls and floor, should I have pay to fix his damage?

My dishwasher leaked water to the neighbor downstairs, we agreed to check on the cost to repair it but the neighbor turned around and fixed the damage then came to me to make me pay the bill or he said his insurer will come after me. I just moved to the unit and don’t have a warranty yet. What should I do? Should I pay the bill?

Asked on August 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You should consult with the HOA to see if the damages caused by your dishwasher to the lower unit are something that the HOA will pay for. As to liability and payment you might check to see if you have an insurance policy in effect for the unit if you are an owner of it that might cover any claim for damages.

I suggest that you consult further with a real estate attorney as to what your legal options are with respect to the matter you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption