What can I do if my dental insuance company has refused to pay for a routine dental cleaning?

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my dental insuance company has refused to pay for a routine dental cleaning?

My 2 children and I had a routine cleaning 9 months ago and our insurance paid for my daughter and I but not for my son. Our dentist resubmitted the claim the next month and noticed it still wasn’t paid 5 months later. When they contacted my insurer, they were told that they would no longer process claims for my husband’s employer because they discontinued service and changed insurance companies 2 months after the cleaning was performed. Is there anything we can do? I don’t understand how an insurer can do this. Our premiums were all paid. I’ve made several calls and they are now telling me they ran out of funds for my husband’s employer.

Asked on August 31, 2014 under Insurance Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Contact your State Department of Insurance in your state and file a complaint against the company.  See what happens.  If the insurance was paid up by you then you had coverage and the claim should not have been denied. Especially since they paid two of the three.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption